Sunday, July 11, 2010

Are vegetables an acquired taste!?!?


So, yesterday, I made a meal with red and green peppers as the main veggie.  And these peppers weren't all chopped and tiny...they were all big and chunky.  I was nervous about making the recipe, because I am not a pepper fan like that.  I mean, I like the taste...or shall I say the flavor, but biting into a red pepper didn't excite me.  I'm the girl who would order green peppers on our pizza and then take them off...all the flavor, but no bite.  As I was cooking, I actually wondered if I ever ate straight peppers.

As I ate my dinner (which actually turned out pretty good), I realized that, besides salads, I am not used to biting into big fleshy vegetables.  No zucchini, no yellow squash, no fresh green beans, and no peppers.  Veggies and I have a love/hate relationship and they are definitely never my main course. 

But as I learn to embrace whole foods, I am wondering...will I ever love vegetables?  Will I ever be able to eat a meal of veggies with no bread or rice or pasta or tortilla...no nothin!? Will I be able to branch out from just eating my favorite veggies:  canned green beans and corn, broccoli, tomatoes, the occasional spinach, and romaine lettuce?  That's pretty much it...that's my whole vegetable repertoire.  I will occasionally do carrots on a salad...and mushrooms in my quesadillas, but really those are all the veggies I eat:(

I know that there is so much more out there.  I want to try new things...but I am definitely nervous.  What if I don't like it?  Are vegetables something that I can acquire a taste for?  I guess we will see.  I know it has a lot to do with how you cook them....especially seasoning (My fiance has taught me how to season better...still not the best though).

Anyway, that is what was running through my mind as I was procrastinating and not reading articles.  I wonder what vegetable I will try next...

UPDATE:  How could I forget my new friend the avocado?!!?  I have had avocado almost every day this summer!  I probably would not have ate avocados before this summer, so...yay for me for branching out!!!

2 comments:

  1. I feel that vegetables (and most healthy food in general) has been an acquired taste for me. As I slowly began to transform my diet with less processed food and more healthy food, my taste buds changed. My cravings also changed and I began to crave salads more than pizza and started to enjoy the freshness of real vegetables and fruit. I tried to adhere to a rule where I would eat a vegetable at least five times before I gave up and said I didn't like it. Usually by the 5th time eating it, I had grown to like it a little bit, if not a lot.

    Sounds like you are making great progress though! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! I didn't even realize that I had comments!!! This is so exciting! It's kinda funny...when I saw that it was from ohhealthyday, I felt like I had gotten a response from a celebrity or something (LOL). Thanks for the encouraging words and advice!!:) The five time rule is a good one!! Thanks again!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete