At first, I wasn't gonna post this recipe. I substituted chicken broth with vegetable broth...and the taste of the soup definitely needed some kick.
Luckily, the required garnishments (avocado and cheese) were just the kick that it needed!!!
Here's the recipe (As usual, I made several changes to kind of make it my own)
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried/fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 Tbsp lowfat sour cream
- 1 avocado cut into slices (about 1/4 for each serving)
- lowfat 4 cheese Mexican (about 1/8 cup for each serving)
I had it with a side of cantaloupes. Very tasty.
And that's it! So simple!!! I really didn't measure out the spices...I just kinda do it all to taste. I was really worried that this was gonna be a miss...but as I said those garnishments really set it off. You know what they always say, everything is better with avocado and cheese!!!:)