Tuesday, August 31, 2010

RECIPE FAVE: Shrimp, Eggplant and Zucchini over Herbed Spaghetti Squash

Adapted from Katheats.com and foodnetwork.com 

INGREDIENTS
45-50 shrimp
1 Tbsp. EVOO
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I used Chunky Ragu, Mama's Special Garden Sauce)
15-20 olives (black or green)
1 eggplant
1 zucchini
1 spaghetti squash, medium
2 Tbsp. margarine
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning

Using a sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise and place, cut side down, in a baking dish. Add enough water to come 1/2-inch up the sides of the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes, until the squash is easily pierced with a paring knife. Turn squash over and cover with foil again and continue to cook another 15 minutes, until the squash is very tender. Remove from the oven, uncover, and allow to cool slightly. Using a spoon, remove the seeds and discard. Using a fork, gently pull the strands of squash away from the peel and place the squash strands into a mixing bowl. 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut up and salt eggplant.  Let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.  Rinse off the salt and dice.  Dice zucchini.   Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and put zucchini and eggplant on sheet.   Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and bake for 26 minutes.

Heat a skillet. Add the butter, spaghetti squash, herbs, salt and pepper and toss thoroughly but gently to heat and combine. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve. 

Heat tomato sauce in a saucepan.  Place chopped olives in sauce. 

Defrosted, peel and sear shrimp in a skillet with EVOO.

Layer spaghetti squash, eggplant and zucchini, shrimp, and tomato sauce in a bowl.  Top with Parmesan and Romano cheese. 

Serves 4.

11 comments:

  1. Wow that looks delicious. I love spaghetti squash. I know what you mean about exploding spaghetti squashes — I cooked one in my microwave and it exploded, blew the door open, and just missed my baby in the high chair! I had poked the skin, but don’t think I stabbed it deep enough. I had to get a new microwave – it was totally destroyed. So I always cut them in half now… Techlazy.com Crazyask.com Howmate.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gloomy days but I tend to be way less productive because I want to sink into watch a movie under covers all day.
    Joseph Donahue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like making breakfast with my kids. I tend to be a bit of a control freak in the kitchen, though. I often find it best to point them in the right direction, then move to another room of the house until they need help witg something.
    Kelly Hubbard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I missed the temperature to bake the chicke. This really iced sounds delicious and easy yo make. Can’t wait to try it.
    Holly Hooper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this the first time I made it using brown sugar but tonight I made it with Stevia not realizing that the ratios are so different. A word to the wise, if using a substitute use a LOT less. We had to throw the whole thing away.
    Paul Brown

    ReplyDelete