Friday, April 8, 2011

When to Buy Organic

I was watching Good Morning, America this morning and there was a woman on there that was giving tips as to when to buy organic produce.

I sometimes buy organic foods when I am at Harry's or TJ's...but I have never really gotten into buying organic fruits and vegetables for some reason...which is kinda crazy cause sometimes I can actually taste the pesticides on my apples.

Anyway, here's what she said...Pesticides get inside some fruits and we want to know where they are in it and where they are not.

DON'T NEED TO BUY ORGANIC:
Seasonal
Asparagus
Avocado
Sweet Peas
Grapefruit
Cabbage

*The above items either have thick skin or grow early and don't get a lot of pesticides.

Year-Round
Onions
Avocado
Sweet Corn
Pineapple
Mando

*The above items have thick skins, so you do not need to buy organic. 

BUY ORGANIC
Apples
Bell Peppers
Carrots
Celery
Strawberries (along with all other berries)

Essentially, any time that you plan to eat the skin, you should go organic.  That's pretty easy to remember...now let's see how hard it is to practice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment