Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pescatarian vs. Vegetarian vs. Vegan

Okay, so one of my goals is to be a healthy pescatarian.  What's a pescatarian you may ask?  It's a vegetarian who eats fish.  Though it's sounds made up, it's real...really.  I read it in a health magazine, so it has to be real:)  When people ask, I don't really call myself a pescatarian...I usually just tell them that I don't eat meat.  Which is usually followed by, "So, you're a vegetarian?"...which I usually follow with "No, I eat seafood."  I have found that vegetarians and vegans get very upset if you call yourself a vegetarian and you still eat animals...even ones that swim.  This is a definite veggie no-no.  I have been a pescatarian since 2006.  My then boyfriend/now fiance was a strict vegetarian and I thought that it would be easier for meal planning if I joined him.  Only problem, I was not giving up my seafood!  Funny thing was, HE started craving meat in 2008 or 2009 and we both had a meat relapse for about a year (only eating chicken and seafood).  I got back on the pescatarian wagon in January 2010.  He plans to stop eating meat when we start this healthy living kick tomorrow.

Anyway, I could never be a vegetarian because I love seafood too much.  I couldn't live without crab (specifically, Maryland Blue Crabs), shrimp, and scallops!  Oh!...and I love good fish and chips, too.  YUM!  As for being vegan...couldn't do that either.  My love for cheese is something fierce.  Nope, couldn't do it...nope, nope, nope.  Even though I do realize that if I were to cut out dairy, I would be a lot closer to my health goals a lot sooner...but it's just not something that I would ever want to deny myself.  No mozzarella on my pizza...no 4-cheese Mexican on my burrito...no provolone on my veggie sub!?!?!  No way!  So, I guess I will continue to eat cheese...in moderation, of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment