Wednesday, June 30, 2010

RECIPES FAVES: Low Fat Vegetarian Taco Salad

Okay.  So I always forget to post what I am eating.  But I loved this salad so much that I decided mid-meal that I had to take a picture.  It was a Lowfat Vegetarian Taco Salad...and it was super yum.

I had been looking for different recipes for warm salads earlier this week...and I was super excited when I found one for low fat taco salad.  I made some changes to the recipe to make it meatless and it ended up being really good.

My fiance said it looks kind of gross in the picture.  But it was really good.

Romaine lettuce, grounds with kidney beans and Rotel (plus fresh cilantro, garlic and onions), 1/4 of a cup of low fat 4 cheese Mexican, lowfat sour cream and salsa mixture (for dressing), and some crushed tortilla chips (for croutons).  I ate it today and yesterday for lunch.  My fiance even enjoyed it.  Definitely a keeper!!!

Here's the recipe that I adapted from RecipeZaar.  

Low Fat Taco Salad Recipe 

SERVES 4

  1. Chop or tear lettuce.
  2. Cut tomatoes (or use cherry or grape) and onions.
  3. Toss with lettuce.
  4. Saute pepper, onions, and garlic in water.
  5. Add beef and cook until almost done.
  6. Add beans with juice.
  7. Add spices and heat through.
  8. Mix together salsa and fat free sour cream in a separate bowl.
  9. Cut tortillas into triangles.
  10. Spray with Pam on one side and sprinkle with a little salt or spices.
  11. Bake in 400 degree oven until crisp.
  12. Turn and brown on other side.
  13. Arrange salad on plate.
  14. Top with the meat and bean mixture.
  15. Arrange chips around the sides.
  16. Top with the salsa and sour cream mixture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment