Friday, July 2, 2010

Goal Update


I was reviewing some of my former entries and I realized that I'm really good at setting goals...but not so good at keeping them.  I saw things like yoga 2 or 3 times a week...no coffee...no "whites."  A lot of stuff that I am clearly not following.

So, I decided that I needed to update my current goals...making my current food and workout routines more, as they say, transparent.

In terms of food, I'm following Geneen Roth's (Women, Food, and God) advice of not denying myself anything.  If I feel like coffee...I'm gonna get some coffee.  If I want some white potatoes...I'm gonna eat some white potatoes.  I do believe that this is a healthier way to live and will hopefully keep me from binging on foods that I have denied myself in the past.  I am NOT following Ms. Roth's eat without distractions advice.  I tried, but I just can't.  I enjoy eating in front of the television.  Eating and watching TV is actually quality time that I get to spend with my fiance (and Michael Scott and Liz Lemon and Benson & Stabler).  That approach might work for some...but it's not something that I'm putting on my goal list. 

One bit of good advice that I heard the other day was regarding desserts.  I don't know if I read it on a blog or in a magazine...or if I saw it on TV, but someone was saying if you eat dessert every day its no longer a treat.  I liked that so I decided that desserts will be a special treat for me.  And when I say desserts, I'm including things like Skinny Cow vanilla ice cream sandwiches and other low cal treats.  I can treat myself once or twice a week, but that's it. 

My biggest goals with food right now are continuing to practice portion control and eating when I am hungry.  I still have difficulty leaving food on my plate, so I am trying to practice not putting as much food on my plate...and no seconds, of course.  Does that make sense?  I have been eating every four hours or so and all of my meals are around 300-400 calories.  I eat a snack somewhere in there if I'm hungry.  But since I haven't been burning as many calories during the day (compared to when I do when I am working), an afternoon snack isn't as dire.  So, I do all that and I log my calories into selfdietclub.com and that is about it.  Pretty simple and it seems to be working.  On an average day, I eat no more than 1500 calories.

As far as exercising, I'm still doing JM's Shred.  Yesterday was actually my last day of level one (WOOHOO!!...though I feel like I'm gonna miss it a bit).  I am excited to see what level two has to offer, and I will hopefully find some time to write about it later.  I'm happy with Shred...mixes up cardio, strength, and abs...makes me sweat like a pig every time...and it's only 20 min.  Doesn't get any better than that!

I'm also still doing Couch to 10K...though I have brought it inside to the treadmill.  I got tired of having to make sure that I woke up in time to beat the Georgia heat.  So, I have been doing it after Shred, three days a week in the afternoons while watching BL.  I actually almost gave up on C210K this week.  When I ran last week, I ran sooooo hard that I thought that I was going to die.  I was happy that I pushed myself, but I think that I pushed a little to hard...so hard that I didn't ever wanna do the program ever again.  So, when I did it again on Wednesday, I didn't push too hard and jogged at a speed that I felt comfortable with...and I survived.  I'm actually excited about doing it again today.  (Excited is actually WAY too strong of a word...not dreading would be a better word to describe my feelings about running today.)  One cool thing is that I am up to running 50% of the time...big accomplishment from day one when I was running for 30 second.

On the days that I don't do C210K, I walk on the treadmill for an hour.  The walk is usually 3+ miles at 4 mph.

And that is it.  That is my weekly schedule.  Seven days a week.  I have 20 more days of Shred and 8 1/2 more weeks of C210K.  I will probably revamp my workout schedule after Shred.  I really need some yoga in my life, and I think that is what I will incorporate after I finish.

Okay, I feel better now and I'm livin' a lil more authentically.

0 comments:

Post a Comment