Monday, July 5, 2010

Guess Where I Went!?!?!?

I'll give you one clue...


YES!!  Whole Foods!!...well, actually that's a lie.  I really went to Harry's Farmers Market...which is owned by Whole Foods and is less than 5 minutes from my house.  They've got the same kind of stuff.

You would think with Harry's being so close that I'd already be a Whole Foods girl.  But it's not that I don't like going...cause I do.  You can always find some interesting new yummy treats...or hard to find veggie products...or those odd ingredients that are in your recipes that you can't find anywhere else.  Whole Foods is great!!!  It's just the cost!  It's so damn expensive!  I got the above at Whole Foods and I got this...


...at Wal-Mart.  Notice the size of my WH bag as compared to all the Wal-Mart bags.  Wally World is definitely not my favorite place, but it IS cost effective.  I'm getting back into my habit of going to two grocery stores in one trip.  One for my cheap stuff (i.e. Kroger/Wal-Mart) and one for my unique/ethnic/exotic/whatever you want to call it stuff (i.e. Harry's).  It is time consuming, but I think it allows me to have the best of both worlds.  In the past two days, I have actually been to FOUR different grocery stores looking for the ingredients for a recipe that I wanted to make.

I actually borrowed the recipe from Allie...who may be my new favorite blogger.  I used her yummy recipe for banana and avocado bread.  I followed the recipe to a tee...except that I added some walnuts for extra protein.  It really turned out good.  The recipe calls for oat flour, wheat flour, spelt flour and flax (hence why I was running all over the place to every grocery store within a five mile radius of my house)  But even with all that healthiness in there, it didn't taste wheaty or anything.  I'm excited for my fiance to get home so he can try it...his taste buds are pretty particular (especially when I'm cooking), so I'm not sure if he'll like it or not.

Here's my finished product...by the time I thought to take a picture, I had already cut a slice (oops!).

I decided to have a slice as a snack today with a cup of green tea.  Yummy!!!  The recipe is definitely worth trying.  Nice and moist...and you don't even have to like avocado cause you can't taste it at all. 

On Saturday night, I tried another Allie recommendation.
Now this...was not a favorite.  It was okay.  I've been craving Chinese beef with broccoli for awhile and I thought that maybe this could satisfy my craving.  But...not so much.  It wasn't awful.  The consistency was a little soft and it tasted like "fake" meat...which is a taste that I'm used to, but it's definitely not my favorite.  I think if someone who really knew how to cook (like my fiance) used it in a dish, it could possibly taste a lot better.  I whipped it up with some broccoli and brown rice and it was just okay.  Anyway, it's low fat and has lots of protein...so I was happy with that.  And I guess I didn't hate it that much, I ate it the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Okay...have to find the energy to workout.  Then back to pulling articles for my paper...it's crunch time!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment