Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Now for that balance part...

Okay...so I know I've been super focused on eating healthy and exercising.  What I haven't been focused on is my dissertation and my wedding.  This isn't a good thing...especially since I only have eleven days until I go back to school.

In terms of the wedding, I need to do the following ASAP:

1)  buy stamps
2)  print out envelopes
3)  send out save the dates (by Monday at the latest!)
4)  meet with vendor (today)
5)  pay catering deposit (today)
6)  follow up on shuttle deposit
7)  meet with general manager at the place we plan to have the rehearsal dinner

I think that is it for now.  All of this HAS to be done this week!!

On top of that there is my dissertation checklist (not as long, but believe it or not more pressing).

1)  finish reading and taking notes on resources
2)  get books from Emory library
3)  follow up with advisor
4)  follow up with potential committee member

Lots and lots to do!!!  I'm trying not to get too stressed...and I know that should be working and not blogging but...I dunno!  I just can't wait until next summer when I can just have fun and relax.

Anyway, on to why I felt the need to stop everything and blog.  I made a new green smoothie...with the help of Kath

INGREDIENTS
  • 1-1 1/2 cups of spinach
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 1/4 cup of oats
  • 1/4 Chobani plain
  • 15 mg Vega Smoothie Infusion
  • 1 packet of Stevia (my first time using it)
Put it all together and blend.  I forgot to put in my flax, but I will definitely do this next time.



Another little goodie that I made was Mediterranean fish with whole wheat couscous and green beans. 

Here's the recipe for the Mediterranean fish...

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 1/2 pounds firm white fish fillets, such halibut, striped bass or orange roughy
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata, green or black olives, cut in half lengthwise
  • 2 tablespoons white wine
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
DIRECTIONS


1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking dish with no stick cooking spray. Place fish in single layer in baking dish. Lightly salt and pepper the fish. Bake 12 minutes. If fish is over 1-inch thick, increase cooking time to 15 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, olives, wine, basil, garlic and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.

3. Remove fish from oven. Spoon sauce over fish. Return to oven; bake 5 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.

 
Might not look great...but it was.  I wonder if it's my cooking or my camera that makes food not look tasty.

I used flounder instead of what was recommended...and I think that it would have definitely been better with a heavier fish.  I made a side of Near East whole wheat couscous...which was super yum!!  It brought out that inner hungry monster inside of me.  I could have eaten the whole pot!  But I measured out about 1/2 cup (even though I probably ate about a 1/4 of a cup while I was cooking) and scooped it on my plate.


I enjoyed the dinner.  I even made my fiance have some (he usually doesn't partake in my healthy meals).  I didn't cook enough fish for leftovers, but I am going to have some of the leftover tomato sauce on some yummy couscous.  


Okay...now back to all of my other duties.  I vow that I will not sit on the couch and read health blogs all day.  Oh!  I am happy that I already did my C210K today (I think that it is funny that I almost gave up on it...now I'm in week 8!!!)...now I can do all of the other things on my list!

0 comments:

Post a Comment