Sunday, April 24, 2011

I'm still learning...

This weekend, I went to one of my oldest friend's wedding.  The weekend taught me so much about friendship.

In the past, I have found myself complaining that I didn't really have any friends.  I always knew that the thought/comment was a bit extreme...and definitely overly dramatic...and deep down I knew that the thought/comment was downright untrue. 

But as an adult, I have found myself from time to time mourning the absence of a "clique" of friends. A group of girls that you go shopping with...talk to on the phone...drink with...hang out with...a group of girls that I would swap boy stories or complain about my job.  I equated not having this exclusive group with not having friends at all. 

I have come to realize in the past couple of weeks how very blessed I am...I do have friends.  I am blessed with so many friends in from so many different groups.  I am blessed with old friends...that I can talk to for hours about all of the fun times that we've had and the person that I was...and new friends that I can talk to about all of the things currently going on in my life and the person that I have become. 

Friends are the people that lift you up.  The people that are happy when you are happy...and empathize when you are sad.  Friends make an effort.  Friends pick up the phone.  Friends remember.  Friends may not always say what you want them to say...but they will speak the truth and always have your best at heart. 

I have tons of these people.  And I am so happy that I am learning to appreciate them.  I will make sure that these people know how much they are loved...and I will no longer  spend my emotional energy on people who do not have my best at heart. 

I want to let go of negativity and gossip...and "messiness" (a word that has been very key this weekend).  I want to be a good friend...because I have so many good friends.

I am still learning...